An Endodontist Might Be Needed to Treat Dental Avulsion

Posted .

A severe oral trauma from a hard blow to the face or accidental fall has the potential to cause significant damage to a tooth and the socket anchoring it in your mouth. In a case where the tooth is knocked out or severed at the gumline, Dr. Andrew Calhoun might be needed to treat the dental avulsion.

If there is enough of the root or healthy socket remaining, your endodontist might be able to restore the tooth with endodontic therapy. Also known as a root canal, this is a special form of treatment that will extract any severely compromised material.

Your endodontist will then rebuild the missing structure with a special dental material known as gutta percha. This will create a pillar-like structure called an abutment. This will eventually anchor a dental crown restoration in the void left by the dental avulsion.

We will then cast a detailed impression of the area and protect it with a temporary crown. Your endodontist might also prescribe some pain management medication to help you remain comfortable while your gums heal.

When your new crown is ready, we will call you back in for a follow-up appointment to have it cemented in place. With this completed, your newly restored tooth should last you for many years to come.

If you live in the Jacksonville, Florida, area and you are suffering with a traumatized tooth, you should call 904.352.2510 to seek endodontic treatment at Jacksonville Endodontic Associates.