Cracked Tooth Help

Posted .

There are times when a blow to the face can hit so hard that it actually cracks the tooth enamel and damages the pulp or root of the tooth. The pain that often accompanies this kind of dental trauma can be intense. In most cases, a Jacksonville Endodontic Associates dentist will need to perform a root canal to remove the damaged structures of the tooth before restoring it with a crown.

Once the tooth has been examined and X-rayed, your dentist will use a drill to remove all of the damaged pulp and root, as well as the tooth enamel. They will then rebuild the internal structures of the tooth with a rubbery material called gutta percha.

This creates a small post like structure extending out from your gums, called an abutment. This will eventually anchor a permanent crown.

A crown is essentially a replica of the enamel layer of the original tooth. They are commonly made from either porcelain, gold or base metal alloys. Exactly which material the dentist recommends will be based on the tooth’s function in your mouth and prevalence in your smile.

Your permanent crown will be made in a professional dental lab, where it is custom crafted to fit onto the abutment and match with any other related teeth in the area.

If you have just cracked a tooth, you should call Jacksonville Endodontic Associates’s clinic in Jacksonville, Florida at 904.352.2510 to have it examined and treated.